Skip to Content


The Ordinances of the Village of Streamwood are designed to protect and promote the public health, safety, morals, comfort, convenience and general welfare of the people. The Village Code is available for inspection at the Village Clerk's office and the Poplar Creek Library. If you have any questions concerning these Ordinances, you may contact the Village offices at (630) 736-3800.

Animal Control
Building Permits
Garage Sales
Lawn Sprinkling
Open Burning
Parental Responsibility and Youth Ordinances

Animal Control

It is against the Village Code for any person to keep more than three (3) adult dogs, cats, or other animals.  While annual pet licensing is not mandatory, you may register pets with the Police Department.  A rabies certificate is required for registration; there is no registration fee.  All pet owners are required, when walking their pet(s) on public property, to hold the pet securely on a leash.  Owners are also required to carry a "pooper scooper" or some other method for the immediate removal of excrement.

Back To TopBuilding Permits

Building permits are required for all construction and home improvement projects, regardless of whether the work is completed by the homeowner or a contractor.  All contractors must be licensed by the Village of Streamwood.  Construction projects include, but are not limited to: additions, exterior repairs, demolition, fences, swimming pools, driveways, sidewalks, patios, decks, sheds, central air conditioning, dog runs, dish antennas, gazebos, garages, and electrical revisions.

For more information on the Community Development/Building Department as well as detailed information on home improvement projects such as decks, fences, sheds, etc., see the Community Development Department in the Services section of our website.

Building Permits and many other Community Development/Building Department forms are available to print from the Forms and Applications page in the Reference Desk section of our website.

Back To TopGarage Sales

A permit must be obtained from the Village Clerk's office.  There is a $1.00 permit charge.  Sales are permitted between the hours of 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.  Signs may be on either the premises of the sale, or on other private property with the permission of the property owner. Garage sale signs are prohibited on any utility posts, sign posts, or within the public right of way.

This document is available to view in PDF format. Garage Sale Application 

Lawn Sprinkling

Residents with odd number street addresses shall be permitted to sprinkle only on odd numbered days of the month.  Residents with even numbered street addresses shall be permitted to sprinkle only on even numbered days of the month.  Outside water usage restrictions and sprinkling bans may be instituted by the Public Works Director at any time.  Residents are notified through area newspapers, Police Department or Cable Channels.

Back To TopOpen Burning

It is unlawful to burn leaves, refuse, garbage or other similar materials in the Village.

Parental Responsibility and Youth Ordinances

Vandalism - The parent or legal guardian of a minor (less than 18 years of age) shall be liable for any fine, condition, restitution, or reparation imposed by a court upon a minor.

Alcoholic Beverages - Parents and other adults over the age of 21 are held responsible for the possession of alcoholic beverages by minors.  It is unlawful for parents and other adults to allow the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors on premises owned or occupied by the parents or adults.

Tobacco Products - Under this ordinance it is unlawful for any person under the age of 18 to purchase or possess tobacco products or to misrepresent their age or identity for the purpose of purchasing tobacco products.  It is also makes sale of tobacco products to minors unlawful.  A sales person must request photographic identification with proof of age if he or she has reason to believe a minor is attempting to purchase tobacco products.

Curfew - People under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian on public property or in any place of business or amusement in Streamwood after 12:00 am (midnight) on Friday and Saturday and 11:00 pm on all other days of the week.

Back To TopParking

Street Parking -  No person shall park any vehicle between the hours of one o'clock (1:00) am and five o'clock (5:00) am of any day on any street in the Village unless a valid overnight parking permit or sticker has been issued to the vehicle.

Overnight parking permits shall be issued with the following restrictions:  Each dwelling unit within the village shall be allowed a maximum of five (5) overnight parking permits within a calendar year. Each permit shall be valid for a maximum of three (3) nights.  A parking permit shall be issued and in effect for those nights evidencing the granting of permission for parking between one o'clock (1:00) am and five o'clock (5:00) am The permit shall be visible from the driver’s side window of the vehicle in question.

Parking permits will be issued by the Police Department after completion of an application and proof of residency by the applicant.

The Police Department is authorized to rule on hardships caused by this Section and in those situations in which it is determined that a severe hardship exists, permission may be granted to allow overnight parking for additional evenings.

In multi-family areas, where legal, off-street parking is proven to be limited, permit parking may be allowed on the street when authorized by the Police Chief and the Community Development Director.  A separate neighborhood parking sticker will be issued for each vehicle as requested in these areas. Parking on the designated street areas will be on a first-come, first-serve basis and restricted to one side of the street where indicated by neighborhood permit parking signs.

Back To TopSolicitors

This document is available to view in PDF format. Solicitor's Registration

Commercial and charitable solicitors are required to register and obtain a solicitation permit.  Applications are available from the Village Clerk's office or you can print one from above.  Registration is required so that individuals and companies can be identified.  This protects residents' interest and provides recourse in the event that a problem arises.  Solicitors may not approach a residence displaying a "No Solicitors" decal.  These decals are available at the Clerk's office.  Residents are encouraged to report violations to the Police Department by calling 9-1-1.


The Village Code states that residents' grass or weeds not exceed a maximum height of 6 inches.  It is the responsibility of the resident to keep their yard free of dirt, debris, garbage and similar materials.


Back To Top