Prevent Frozen Pipes
Date of Event:
During extended periods of freezing temperatures, water service lines may freeze. Please take these precautions to prevent frozen pipes over the next few weeks:
• Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
• Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
• Open closets, utility rooms and storage areas to allow warmer air to circulate around any plumbing including the water meter and valves.
• When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
• If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.