Fire Department Responds to Chlorine Leak
April 7, 2014
At 11:47 a.m., the Streamwood Fire Department responded to a report of
chlorine leak at the water treatment plant at 590 S. Bartlett Rd.
Firefighters donned protected clothing and entered the building to
investigate. Chlorine is used to purify water by killing bacteria.
Chlorine gas is toxic by inhalation.
An employee stated that he was disconnecting a 100 pound chlorine cylinder when the leak started. He evacuated the building and was not injured.