Through the endless pursuit of excellence, the Streamwood Police Department shall become one of the preeminent law enforcement agencies in the Chicago metropolitan area.
The Streamwood Police Department will serve members of our community with integrity, respect and unity, always striving for excellence; improving the quality of life for our residents and business owners through community-oriented public service.
The Streamwood Police Department and its employees value Service, Professionalism and Dedication in serving our community. Each department member shall serve the citizens of Streamwood using the tenets of “SPD” as our guiding principles, allowing all of us to make a difference each and every day we serve.
The Streamwood Police Department is a member of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) and has embraced its Ten Shared Principles to improve communication and understanding between the police and the citizens we serve. Our Department has always embraced these principles, including:
- Placing the highest value on the life of every person.
- Treating everyone with dignity and respect as our foundational value.
- Rejecting discrimination toward any person that is based on race, ethnicity, religion, color, nationality, immigrant status, sexual orientation, gender, disability, or familial status.
- Building and rebuilding trust through procedural justice, accountability, and honest recognition of obstacles.
- Endorsing the framework of procedural justice, which includes fairness, voice (i.e., an opportunity for citizens and police to believe they are heard), transparency, and impartiality.
- Endorsing the values inherent in community policing, which includes community partnerships involving law enforcement, engagement of police officers with residents outside of interaction specific to enforcement of laws, and problem-solving that is collaborative, not one-sided.
- Developing strong ongoing relationships between law enforcement and our community to diminish and eliminate racial tension.
- Encouraging all citizens to gain a better understanding and knowledge of the law to assist them in their interactions with law enforcement officers.
- Supporting diversity in our police department.
- Employing de-escalation training and tactics to ensure the safety of community members and officers, and embracing the ideal that human life should be taken only as a last resort.
We implemented these principles through our general orders. We follow common-sense limits on the use of force.
We understand the awesome responsibility we have. We honor the trust our community has placed in us to keep them safe. We strive every day to live up to that responsibility with Service, Professionalism and Dedication.